(Updated March 17, 2016) Here, you’ll see the best record players for beginners, vinyl records enthusiasts, and DJs. Videos of the turntables are included so that you could see and hear the record players yourself.
Table of Contents
- The Audio-Technica AT-LP120 USB
- Cheap Record Players
- The Jensen JTA-230 Stereo Turntable
- Record Player Reviews
- Crosley Dansette Bermuda Review
(Here’s a zoomable image.)
Audio-Technica’s AT-LP120 USB is the best turntable for beginners, vinyl enthusiasts, and DJs. It more than satisfies a wide range of people and it does so surprisingly.
It’s not for absolutely everyone, of course, but it works excellently for most people (see their ratings and reviews). Below are what makes the AT-LP120 the top turntable.
Why It’s the Top Record Player
- For the price, the AT-Lp120 has more features and better performance. To see the exact current price, and to know if there are discounts or free shipping, click here.
- The AT-LP120 playing speeds are 33, 45 and 78 RPM. Hence, you’ll be able to listen to modern albums (like in the video below), as well as to those made before 1950.
(You can also watch a video of the AT-LP120’s features.)
- The AT-Lp120 has a direct drive, so there is no belt and there are a few moving parts. This means less vibration that create noise, so the sound quality is great.
- It can connect to devices like computers and mixers. This lets you digitize records for backups or on-the-go listening. For DJs, this makes it easier to create music.
Not surprisingly, cheap record players (like the ones featured here) usually appeal to beginners and those with limited budgets. If you also found the turntables above to be too expensive, below are the top affordable options that you can choose from:
(Here’s a zoomable picture.)
Jensen’s JTA-230 is the best cheap turntable for beginners and those with limited budgets. It is very much an entry-level vinyl spinner, but unexpectedly a good one at that.
In contrast to its lowly price tag, the JTA-230 is quite highly regarded (see how high people rate it). Below are the reasons why the JTA-230 is considered the top cheap vinyl player.
Why It’s the Top Cheap Record Player
- For the price, the JTA-230 goes the extra mile with features like pitch and tone control. See the exact price now, which could be even more lower if it’s on sale.
- The JTA-230 comes with speakers, and some say that it sounds better than their 1960s record player. You can also plug-in external speakers for more volume.
- Like pricier turntables, the JTA-230 plays at 33, 45 or 78 RPM. And so, you can listen to 1950s records in addition to the LPs of today (as shown in the video above).
- The JTA-230 has a USB port that lets you rip records for mobile listening. It also has an auxiliary jack that lets you use a phone’s speakers (learn more about the features).
Record player reviews are shared here to help you find the turntable that matches your needs or wants. These turntables are the best in their own right, and are great alternatives to the others featured above. If none of the record players above suit you, the ones reviewed below might do.
The turntable is Crosley’s take on the Dansette, a popular British brand of record players in the mid 1960s. The nostalgic style was recreated quite well.
To set up the Crosley Dansette in your home, you need not buy a stand because it comes with legs. You can also check out the other features that come with the turntable.
It plays at two speeds only – 33 1/3 and 45 RPM. So it means that you can’t play very old records that you would have expected a vintage looking turntable to do so.
Also, the sound won’t please audiophiles (though Crosley actually confirms their products’ limited fidelity). But it does sound better than how most other reviews describe it to be.
For what the Crosley Dansette intends to be, it actually fulfills quite well. It plays records reliably and is a nice, nostalgic piece for your room – just as you can expect it to be. For the turntable’s exact current price, click here.
Local Singles Records is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.